Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Afternoon Chat with Dr. Marcus

With the success of my first one-on-one encounter with my professor, I decided that I would give it another shot. Recommended to me by another student, I came upon Dr. Marcus, professor and chair of International Studies at Long Beach. As with Dr. Amrikhan, he was also very friendly and willing to offer very informative and intriguing answers to my questions.

Dr. Marcus has been a professor at CSULB since 2006, and has taught Political Science and African studies at both Yale University and at the University of Alabama. 

He obtained his Bachelor's degree in Great Books from NYU in 1989 and went on to complete his Master's degree in African and Political Science in 1992. He finally received his PHD from the University of Florida in both Political and African Studies in 2000.

Dr. Marcus says that "although I was not so sure about what I wanted to teach when I was younger, I was confident by 11 or 12 years-old that I wanted to become a teacher. Teaching material that is interesting and important, and talking a lot, seemed to be the perfect profession for me."

Alongside his teaching career, Dr. Marcus has also been very active in work with the United Nations and World Bank, and travels almost 100,000 miles a year for various work in research. He focuses primarily on research in Africa and has traveled mostly to various regions of Madagascar, Kenya, Uganda, Republic of Congo and Israel.

A life with so much traveling definitely has its perks, such as speaking up to five different languages, however, Dr. Marcus has also contracted Malaria six times in his life. "Although it is the most horrible physical pain I have ever experienced," he says, "it is always worth it."

Dr. Marcus will be teaching a new course aside from International Development this semester, which focuses on the laws and regulations involved with providing reliable water sources to indigenous regions. He says that it is the first time this course will be offered at the university, and is excited to see how it turns out.

Dr. Marcus checking out a new Water Pan in Tana River District, Kenya. Photo taken from www.csulb.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment